[tei-council] Options for freezing and/or archiving Lite

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 13 04:38:31 EDT 2012

On 13 Aug 2012, at 09:01, James Cummings <james.cummings at it.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 12/08/12 19:43, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> obviously it would remain accessible if you know the URL (ie by following
>> links from the web page. But it would not appear in eg oXYgen,
>> in any of the distribution stes, in Roma etc. So this would be fairly dramatic.
>
> Why would this necessarily be the case? Couldn't the build
> process copy the pre-built vault copy to the right place for the
> oxygen-tei framework?

it could, yes. but surely this would be a fairly odd thing to do?

>> I have a pragmatic suggestion - keep Lite in full support
>> _until_ there is a replacement. And that could be the TEI
>> in Libraries set; though I have many reservations whenever
>> I look at that, I think the approach is correct.
>
> If we wanted to do that, would it be better not to have the
> Council produce this customisation but the community?

well, they did. the TEI in Lib is a community effort. but i think the casual user
will find the distinction fairly un-understandable.

> . I don't think it is wrong
> to have something actively available but frozen and archived.

it all depends on the meaning of "actively available", doesn't it.

the phrase "active but frozen" seems to me to sum up why this is wrong.
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services