[tei-council] Feedback from SIGs for 2012-08-09 teleconference

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 9 13:27:01 EDT 2012

To report to council, I emailed all of the SIG conveners
currently listed at:

http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/SIG/

Asking them to let me have either the details of the new SIG
convener (since I think the page is out of date) or any report on
SIG activities they wished to share. (I also mentioned our
meeting in September and said that they could prepare a report
for that).

The answers I got were as follows:

Correspondence SIG: Peter Stadler says:
> nothing much from the correspondence sig as well. We hope to
> regain momentum for a merging of DALF and the WeGA
> correspondence schema but would propably need some sort of
> financial support for meetings. (That's been on our agenda for
> two years now ...)

TEI for Linguists SIG: Piotr will prepare a report for September

Music SIG: Raffaele says:

> The Music SIG will be dormant for at least this members
> meeting. There are plans for the future, but I am focusing on
> the PhD more so they're likely to be slow moving. A loose
> agenda for the future is available here:
> http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/SIG:Music:Meeting2011

Scholarly Publishing SIG: Dan says:
> At the moment nothing much here. Largely my fault. I think
> there is a lot of interest. I don't see much in what I have
> seen to do particularly with Council meetings: most of what
> I;ve seen has to do with implementation and tools, and very
> little with actual syntax and semantics.

Libraries: Kevin will deliver a report during the teleconference
but the highlights are:
> I'll mention a research project that Michelle and I are just
> starting on to study the use of TEI in libraries (not a SIG
> thing per se).
>
> I'll also ask Council's opinion on creating a category or
> group in SF for tickets related to incorporating parts of the
> Best Practices into P5.

I didn't hear back from Education (No Convener Listed),
Manuscripts, Ontologies, Text and Graphics, or Tools.

The board is currently re-examining how SIGs are run and
organised and thinking about changing the rules at:
http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/SIG/rules.xml

Best,
-James
Dr James Cummings, researchsupport at it.ox.ac.uk
Research Support, IT Services, University of Oxford