[tei-council] No scheme-based formal way to refer to a contributor's role?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Aug 7 20:49:13 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I find myself wanting to classify the contributions of people to my
project using a formal classification scheme, such as that provided by
the MARC Code List for Relators:

<http://www.loc.gov/marc/relators/relacode.html>

I don't need all those values, so I've selected some, and turned them
into a <taxonomy> in the header of the personography (referring back to
the original source, of course).

Now I'm trying to find a formal way to link to the <category> elements
from <person>. The only way I can find to do it is to use
occupation/@code, since occupation allows @scheme, from which you can
point to the taxonomy. But that doesn't seem quite right; these are not
actually "occupations". There is @role, but that's data.enumerated, not
data.pointer(s).

Am I missing an obvious way to do this, or should I put in a FR for an
@roleCode)?

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)