[tei-council] @rend in Lite

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 6 10:08:28 EDT 2012

On 06/08/12 15:00, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> The idea is fine. some niggles

>> specified by the TEI Guidelines, since they will depend entirely on the
>> needs of the particular project. Some typical values might include
>> <code>small</code> etc. for size.
>
> I'd be happier if this list came from a recognized (and quoted) source;
> "sup" is not a font variation, and where does "smcap" come from?
> sadly "centre" should probably be "center"

I beg to differ. The whole point of this list is that it does NOT come
from any recognized or quotable source.  It's just "typical values"
which one might expect to encounter.

>> Several such words may be used in
>> combination as necessary, but no formal syntax is proposed. The full TEI
>> Guidelines also provide more rigorous mechanisms, using other W3C
>> standards such as CSS, as an alternative. </p>
>
> hmm, you are implying one can use CSS in @rend here, if you use full TEI.
> this is potentially very misleading. in place of "more rigorous mechanisms"
> maybe you mean "other, more rigorous mechanisms than <att>rend</att>"
> --

I don't see any implication that CSS is available with @rend. It does
say "as an alternative". But I agree it doesn't say as an alternative to
what, so I've added your revisions.