[tei-council] active/passive again

Gabriel BODARD gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Aug 6 05:48:25 EDT 2012

Since Council were unconvinced of the value of renaming the
@active/@passive attributes on <relation> to something more rational
such as @subject/@object, do you think we could at least express the
definitions of these attributes in a way that is both grammatically and
RDF-wise more comprehensible and sensible?

E.g. changing:
@active	identifies the ‘active’ participants in a non-mutual
relationship, or all the participants in a mutual one.
--->
@active	identifies the subjects of the relationship statement defined by
this element[, or all the participants in a mutual one<note
resp="GB">although I don't think this is true, is it? What is @mutual
for, then?</note>].

@passive	identifies the ‘passive’ participants in a non-mutual relationship.
--->
@passive	identifies the object(s) of the relationship statement made by
this element.

(I think the existing definitions presuppose that relation points to two
persons, whereas it is now explicitly defined as appropriate for
pointing between persons, places, objects and events.)

You can probably find a better way to put this.

This is a small thing, but if it's considered controversial then I can
create a ticket for it.

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL