[tei-council] they spread the word

Piotr Banski bansp at o2.pl
Tue Jul 24 06:22:18 EDT 2012

The passage below comes from a recent contribution to the Linguistic
Annotation Workshop co-located with the ACL conference in Jeju. I am not
sure how to comment on it, so I'm just forwarding it for your
information. This workshop is well-known among linguistic annotation
researchers.

   P.

The Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) provides
guidelines for representing a variety of literary and
linguistic texts. The XML-based format is very rich
and among other provides means for encoding linguistic
annotation as well as some generic markup
for graphs, networks, trees, feature-structures, and
links. On the other hand, it lacks explicit support
for stand-off annotation style and makes use of entities,
an almost obsoleted feature of XML, that originates
in SGML. There are no tools supporting the
full specification.

http://faculty.washington.edu/fxia/LAWVI/proceedings/cdrom/pdf/LAWVI03.pdf

PS. One comment may be that the distinction between attributes and
elements also originates in SGML. But what worries me is that while we
can comment on the two issues (stand-off and entities) and justify the
state of affairs or reject them as an accusation, they are the kind of
statements that are easy to slap onto one's back but take time and
explaining to unglue.