[tei-council] http://purl.org/tei/fr/3519866 (@rend datatype)

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Jul 5 13:09:25 EDT 2012

On 12-07-05 09:56 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 5 Jul 2012, at 17:51, Martin Holmes wrote:
>
>> I don't think that's the only solution. Surely @style (content = CSS)
>> would solve the problem for those who want to use inline CSS?
>
> bother me a bit that we special-case CSS with this; and it is also not clear
> whether you can have @rend _and_ @style, ie what are precedence
> and inheritance rules?

That's up to the project, surely. Most would presumably only use one or
the other. If you're wondering what the default TEI stylesheets should
do, then that's another question; but the stylesheets already have to
guess at what any given value(s) appearing in @rend are supposed to
mean. I'd be inclined to say that if @style is present, then ignore
@rend, but you could also combine the two. Redundancy in an HTML @style
attribute is ignored, isn't it?