[tei-council] http://purl.org/tei/fr/3519866 (@rend datatype)

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Jul 5 12:51:16 EDT 2012

On 12-07-05 09:00 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> I'm a very nice reasonable person, and I have quite strong views on this
> subject too! Not to pre-empt further discussion, I observe that the
> current datatype (1:n data.words) was a change deliberately (and quite
> recently) introduced to appease those who were uncomfortable with the
> requirement to predefine styles, implicit in using @rendition.
>
> It does not really permit arbitrary syntax (like rendition ladders or
> local CSS), so that (legacy) constituency remains unsatisfied. At the
> same time, it requires the user to tell fibs, so that progressive (if
> anal) thinkers are also dissatisfied with it. As I said on the ticket,
> the only sensible way to resolve this issue is to return to the status
> quo ante bellum.

I don't think that's the only solution. Surely @style (content = CSS)
would solve the problem for those who want to use inline CSS? It's that
group who raised the issue, and they're just asking for a legitimate way
to use inline CSS, without offending the sensibilities of those who
believe strongly that 1:n data.words is right and proper.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)