[tei-council] Sourceforge retiring Hosted Apps

James Cummings james.cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 3 11:50:29 EDT 2012

David,

If Virginia didn't want to host it, we could also use wordpress.com

Jamesc
--
James Cummings, InfoDev, OUCS, University of Oxford (from phone)

David Sewell <dsewell at virginia.edu> wrote:

This is not good news. We have been relying on the SourceForge Wordpress blog to
feed the newsfeed used on the home page of tei-c.org. It's a clunky mechanism,
but it's what we have at the moment.

In principle, it shouldn't be difficult to migrate the WordPress content to a
different platform and continue that procedure, only it would mean (1) coming up
with an appropriate host, (2) doing the migration, (3) creating new WordPress
user accounts with appropriate permissions, (4) rewriting James's newsfeed
grabbing code to use the new site. It doesn't help matters that the SF WordPress
area (http://sourceforge.net/apps/wordpress/tei/) has been offline more often
than not lately.

It might almost be simpler to go back to hand-editing the page at
http://www.tei-c.org/News/ (via OpenCMS), and then making the home-page sidebar
static and updating links there manually.

David

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012, Martin Holmes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I got a warning from SF this morning, which I guess everyone else will
> also have got, about the retirement of Hosted Apps:
>
> <http://sourceforge.net/blog/hosted-apps-retirement/>
>
> For TEI, I guess this means that WordPress will be going away. I don't
> think we use any other Hosted Apps, do we? I see that LimeSurvey,
> MediaWiki and Trac are all enabled in our SF profile, but the only one I
> recall using was WordPress, for making some kind of announcement during
> the process of a release.
>
> Do we still really need this functionality, or can we let all the Hosted
> Apps die a natural death?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

PO Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314 USA