[tei-council] Order of release steps

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Jun 20 11:13:21 EDT 2012

On 12-06-20 05:58 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 20 Jun 2012, at 13:54, Martin Holmes wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that the first actions following the SVN freeze and the
>> update of the version number by the release technician should be the
>> update of the Debian packages. We should add a step to the effect that
>> the new Debian packages should be installed on the Jenkins boxes, then a
>> new build should be triggered.
>
> um
>
> a) what if the release process finds an error?

It's better to find an error in the Stylesheets/deb packages BEFORE we
try to release anything else, because everything else depends on them
(see the mess we got into with profile=readme this time around). Once we
know the debs are OK, and are installed on Jinks, we know that when we
build the final product, it will be built with the latest codebase. If
in building the P5 jobs after that we get an error which arises out of
the deb packages or Stylesheets, then obviously we have to go back and
fix that before starting again.

> b) this implies a dependency on the Debian maintainer (me). not good…..

We have this anyway. It is definitely not good, but this at least gets
your part out of the way first, before the rest goes ahead.

That said, we need to make some serious decisions about the dependency
on the deb packages. I'd really like to find a way to make it go away if
possible, at least on the Jinks boxes, so that we don't have this
circularity of dependency.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)