[tei-council] Release notes (was Re: next release?)

Gabriel BODARD gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 18 13:34:58 EDT 2012

Dear fellow-councillors,

The "Earhart's Crossing" release (TEI P5 2.1.0) is complete. You may now
edit and commit to svn to your heart's content. I've made notes as I
went through the step-by-step in tcw22, including just a couple of
suggestions for improvement. On the whole it was pretty easy to follow,
even for a tech-less boy like me.

1. Release notes: I assumed that this was all done by Lou (although I
did add the SVN header and set svn:keywords property.

2. Version numbers updated. (I had to stop and think for a moment
whether I was supposed to be updated the -fr version as well. Obviously
yes, but just to note that with current wording I wondered.)

3. Version number updated. Clear.

4. Debian changelogs: the changelog files don't exist where they are
listed in the sbs. I now understand that this is automated in Jenkins...
so this point should be deleted from the doc.

5. Freeze announced. (I mentioned that already, right? :-) )

6. Committed. Waiting to see what happens.

<!-- couple hours later -->

7. This all seems okay to me, but I think the item in the doc could be
spelled out a bit more explicitly what to look for.

8. Apparent problem with instructions in this item:

svnUp.sh runs as written, but
tei-install.sh needs the "sh" command before it. (Does this mean it is
not executable?) Either that needs to be changed, or the instructions.
(Note: James has already fixed the file so it is executable by user.)

Might not be a bad idea to make it possible to select one Jenkins server
or the other with a parameter, rather than having to go in and edit the
script.

Also: Sourceforge denied me permission to make the release at this step.
We need to add a note that the user needs to add the public key from
/home/tei/.ssh/id_dsa to their Sourceforge account before they can rsync
the release zip. This probably belongs in the "What you need" section at
the top of tcw22.

9. Database rebuild: seems painless

10. Defaults set. Fine. (Instructions could be clearer--I've done this
before for other projects, but if not I might not have known where to look.)

11. SVN tags updated. That's easy. (Even using TortoiseSVN, fwiw)

12. Sebastian informed that debian can be released.

13. Sebastian informed that oxygen-tei can be updated.

14. Checking TEI website and downloads. (I wonder we shouldn't do this
check before the previous two, and maybe before 10 as well. If there's a
problem with the website we may have to start again.)

15. James informed, and will announce to TEI-L presently.

16. Unfreeze svn: that's what this email is doing.

17. Sebastian informed that stylesheet tests need updating.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL