[tei-council] Location of <app>s for external apparatus

Gabriel BODARD gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Sat Jun 16 11:14:56 EDT 2012

On 16/06/2012 10:59, James Cummings wrote:
>> I think<appGrp>   would imply that there's no meaningful order,
>> but there usually is with<app>s; they go in document order.
>
> Do they? I don't think that is necessarily the case, nor
> something we should require for anything that is recorded in a
> stand-off/out-of-line manner.  (Could you imagine if I told you
> that your<link>  elements had to be in a particular order inside
> <linkGrp>?

That's the point, isn't it? The order of apps in an appList tends to be
meaningful (even if not required or forced to follow any particular
rule), whereas links in a linkGrp are assumed to be grouped in an
arbitrary order. Because apps (like bibls and list items) are basically
text, they have an order (not always static; a bibliography can be
re-sorted on transformation) but there is usually *an* order.

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL