[tei-council] Location of <app>s for external apparatus

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Jun 15 12:08:09 EDT 2012

On 12-06-15 01:49 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 15 Jun 2012, at 09:45, stuart yeates wrote:
>
>> It would be useful to have a global clue that something is standoff (I
>> anticipate a need for it on the SOM group, but we're not reached there
>> yet).
>>
>> Is there one?
>

> I dont think so. in the case of eg<link>, its _always_ standoff, but<app>
> and<note>  can be used in either way, which is confusing (to me).
>
> one could almost posit _another_ sibling of<text>  called<standoffText>  where
> all this stuff lives.

I think one should seriously posit such a thing. A born-digital document
is a very different scenario from a traditional
transcription-from-source, and leaving born-digitals aside for the
moment, we have a situation where the original source document probably
be transcribed there, in the order in which it appears. Adding in
standoff content to <back> is ambiguous, and problematic for anyone
writing stylesheets or other processors. And I share James's unhappiness
with suggesting that something as ill-constrained as @type be used to
distinguish the two cases.

So I like the idea of a fourth child of <text>, which explicitly
contains stuff which is out-of-sequence, editorial, or otherwise not
part of the normal flow of the source document. I don't like the name
<standoffText>, though, because it may not always be textual stuff;
<linkGrp>s and <link>s belong there too, for instance.

We need a name that incorporates the idea that these items are not part
of the source document flow, although they may include text which ends
up being rendered into that flow.

> Sebastian Rahtz
> Head of Information and Support Group
> Oxford University Computing Services