[tei-council] proposed additions to tcw22

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 15 09:42:00 EDT 2012

I'm not sure what we follow is strictly Unicode version
numbering, but it is certainly similar to it.  There is
documentation about this at:

http://unicode.org/versions/

This does Major.minor.update numbers, incrementing for major
changes, minor changes, and small updates.

In our case we do Major.schema-changing.non-schema-changing
numbering... but that is a bit of a mouthful.  The idea being we
increment the second number only if changes that affect the
schema have been introduced. If we correct some typos in the
prose then we only increment the latter.  Note, if my
understanding is correct, it might be theoretically possible to
do a major change that wasn't schema changing. (e.g. if we
rewrote most of the prose but didn't change element definitions
or similar things which modify the TEI schema or abstract model).
I think that would be very unlikely.

So for example, the previous release was 2.0.2, and this release
will be 2.1.0 because we have made schema-related changes but not
so many or of such a drastic nature that we have made a major
increment.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev