[tei-council] Location of <app>s for external apparatus

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 15 04:38:36 EDT 2012

On 15 Jun 2012, at 09:32, James Cummings wrote:

>> agreed, they are not metadata, they are standoff readings. a bit like standoff notes,
>> and we dont have a natural home for them either, imho.
>
> Yes, and in a digitally-born edition, I would say that <back> makes a natural home for such appendices of textual information.

<back> "contains any appendixes, etc. following the main part of a text"

if you use it as a container for standoff notes and apps, you lose its valuable function
as a place for appendices which are in normal reading order.

when I typeset a TEI document, I expect to render all of the <back> using just
the same techniques as when I render <front> or <body>. I don't expect
to render standoff notes and apps there where I meet them, I expect to be
given a clue that they are standoff.

Head of Information and Support Group
Oxford University Computing Services