[tei-council] Location of <app>s for external apparatus

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Jun 14 11:56:00 EDT 2012

On 12-06-14 04:48 AM, Gabriel BODARD wrote:
> I'm not sure that putting<app>  in<p>  is as abusive or flaky as has
> been implied

Fair enough. I suppose it can't be described as either if it was the
only option previously available. :-)

> (but I don't especially want to defend it too vigorously,
> as I like the alternative<listApp>  being offered); in my usage, we have
> a div[type=edition] and a div[type=apparatus], and the apparatus
> contains a series of textual or philological comments that are presented
> in the original edition (or in the intended output, if this is a
> born-digital text) in one or more paragraphs. (Because epigraphic texts
> are short, the apparatus is usually a separate section after the text,
> rather than a footnote-like area at the bottom of each page.)

I think we might still want to provide some clearer guidance on where
this stuff belongs in the file (presumably either in the header or in
<back>).

> As for sorting appLists into typed groups, critical texts sometimes have
> more than one running apparatus at the bottom of the page, don't they?
> (I've seen up to three in particularly weird editions.) I suppose one is
> manuscript/witness collation, another may be philological/emendations,
> maybe stemmatic evidence listed separately? Again in epigraphic and
> papyrological texts, "apparatus" also includes notes on phsysical
> features of the text. ("The surviving stroke at the end of l. 3 includes
> a strong upper serif and is consistent with B, D, P, R or Þ.") If you
> want examples of types, there might be a few.

That would be useful to have. I don't do a lot of apparatus work myself,
so I don't have good examples to reach for.

The next question would be whether any other elements are allowed in
<listApp> other than <app>, and if so, what should they be. I think
people will want to provide some descriptive information about the list
see a need for anything else, though. Any thoughts on this?

Should it also nest, like other lists do? I don't see why not.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)