[tei-council] Jenkins builder script now working

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Jun 14 11:32:50 EDT 2012

On 12-06-14 01:37 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 14 Jun 2012, at 01:08, Martin Holmes wrote:
>

>> Good tip, and very revealing: it shows the following font families:
>>
>> DejaVu (free)
>> Kochi-mincho (free)
>> Hannom (free)
>> Junicode (free)
>> UMingCN (free)
>>
>> and
>>
>> Times New Roman (NOT free)
>>

> changing the main body font of the Guidelines is something that should perhaps not be undertaken
> lightly.

Definitely not, but that doesn't mean it's not worth trying.

> what do people suggest we use instead?

Your suggestion of Libertine below was my initial thought too. The first
stage is to find out whether it covers all the ranges we're using Times
New Roman for in the Glines, and it does look promising:

"Developed as an open-source collaborative project, the Libertine serif
has won some notice after being chosen for the Wikipedia logo (for which
the foundry designed the emblematic "crossed W").

Currently, the font family only comes in Libertine Serif, which like
most all alternative serifs is designed to emulate Times New Roman.

Libertine has a glyph base of over 2000 characters, meaning that it has
its own Western, Greek, Cyrillic, IPA, and special characters along with
the usual letter/number inclusions.

It comes with italic, bold, bold italic, and small-caps varieties...

Libertine is designed as a general-purpose print font, as opposed to
Times and Times New Roman; font designer Philipp Poll says both the
older fonts have limitations that his Libertine does not have.

Poll recommends Libertine primarily for print work, and says other Linux
fonts such as Deja Vu Serif work better for screen displays. Bold and
small-caps varieties are available, and, Poll says, a sans-serif version
of Libertine is in the works."

<http://sixrevisions.com/web_design/a-web-designers-guide-to-linux-fonts/>

One approach would be to get a distinct list of all the characters in
the Glines which are rendered using Times New Roman, and check them
against what's in Libertine. That would be relatively straightforward
for me if the PDFs were being created with XSL:FO, but LaTeX is a
mystery to me.

> I am of course suspicious of the open source gnu-ish alternative fonts, as they often
> seem to be designed by computer scientists who think xkcd and michelangelo
> are more or less the same quality. But hey, whatever makes folks happy :-}

I think Libertine is a lovely font, actually.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)