[tei-council] <stage> in divliminal

Paul F. Schaffner PFSchaffner at umich.edu
Tue Jun 5 14:22:23 EDT 2012

FWIW, we have always been doubtful about the true character of
such performance notes. As Lou says, they are (given an expansive
definition of 'head'), a kind of heading; or may be regarded
as a kind of note; or a stage direction (which is, after all,
just a kind of note); or in some cases even a byline -- the
last in cases where the performer is regarded as consequential,
and parallel to other responsible parties:

      PROLOGUE
   Written by Mr. Jones
   Sung By Mrs. Bracegirdle
   Set to music by Mr. Smith

The particular example given by Sebastian I think I would be
inclined simply to include within the first <head>, or as
a second subhead, but without the <stage>. I.e., the defining
heading for this piece is "Song sung by priests" not SONG. (<< sung
by priests).

For purposes of conversion, wrapping in <head> sounds fine.

pfs