[tei-council] @predeclare

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed May 23 12:59:28 EDT 2012

On 12-05-23 09:27 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 23 May 2012, at 16:48, Martin Holmes wrote:

>> When I look at the actual guidelines, the attribute is only used on
>> <classSpec>  elements, and it's only ever "true".
>>
>>   - What is its default value?
>
> the Spec says
>
> <defaultVal>false</defaultVal>
>
> so I'd believe that :-}

Curses, exposed as a fool again. I was looking at the reference page and
expecting a default value to appear there:

<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-att.identified.html>

But it doesn't.

It should, shouldn't it?

>>   - What is it actually doing? In other words, what are the implications
>> of a<classSpec>  being predeclared or not predeclared?
>>

> when you make a DTD, the classes and macros are turned into DTD entities, in
> the order in which they appear in the source. However, some are so
> magical that they need to occur before all the others. These
> are flagged with @predeclare=true
>
> why, you ask, can't the ODD processor sort this out for itself?
>
> cos. just cos.

This is the sort of thing that should cause the TEI to insure your life
for millions of pounds. But in the absence of such insurance, I'd like
to find out about such things and get them documented where we can. What
determines whether a classSpec is so magical it needs to come be
predeclared?

> come the revolution…..

...we'll be back where we started.

--