[tei-council] @versionDate

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed May 23 12:51:44 EDT 2012

On 12-05-23 09:15 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 23 May 2012, at 16:59, Martin Holmes wrote:
>
>> @versionDate is currently defined as:
>>
>> versionDate	specifies the date on which the translated source text was taken
>>
>> I don't think that's quite as clear as it could be -- doesn't it really
>> mean "the date on which the source text was translated"?
> no, it means the date on which we copied the text to the translator. it
> may have taken them months to do the actual work

Like Paul's, my memory clouded over. But the description does need some
clarification, if only for the sake of idiots like me. How about this:

"the date on which the source text was extracted and sent to the translator"

I'd still like to add the other bit, if no-one has any objections:

"This attribute can be used to determine whether a translation might
need to be revisited, by comparing the modification date on the
containing file with the @versionDate on the translation. If the file
has changed, the SVN log can be checked to see whether the source text
has changed since the translation was made."

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)