[tei-council] @versionDate

Gabriel BODARD gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Wed May 23 12:12:18 EDT 2012

That would make a lot of sense. It's the only way the guidelines would
be completely unambiguous as to whether an updated translation is
required or not. (I wasn't at that conversation, but I would have agreed
with this formulation had I been.)

On 23/05/2012 17:09, Paul F. Schaffner wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2012, Martin Holmes wrote:
>
>> @versionDate is currently defined as:
>>
>> versionDate	specifies the date on which the translated source text was taken
>>
>> I don't think that's quite as clear as it could be -- doesn't it really
>> mean "the date on which the source text was translated"?
>
> Judging from the minutes of the AA mtg, it should mean the date (whatever
> exactly that means: the release date?) of the English version on which
> the translation was based--not the date the translation was done.
>
> I understood this at the time. Why does the memory cloud over so?
>
> pfs
>

>> Should we also add some clarification about the reason for the
>> attribute's existence? -- along the lines of:
>>
>> "This attribute can be used to determine whether a translation might
>> need to be revisited, by comparing the modification date on the
>> containing file with the @versionDate on the translation. If the file
>> has changed, the SVN log can be checked to see whether the source text
>> has changed since the translation was made."
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Martin
>>
>> --
>> Martin Holmes
>> University of Victoria Humanities Computing and Media Centre
>> (mholmes at uvic.ca)
>> --
>>
>> PLEASE NOTE: postings to this list are publicly archived

> Paul Schaffner | PFSchaffner at umich.edu | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/
> 316-C Hatcher Library N, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1190

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL