[tei-council] soft deprecation of @key

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sun May 20 17:17:06 EDT 2012

On 20/05/12 20:47, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> All,
>
> At last, I've implemented http://purl.org/TEI/fr/3437509.  See the "text
> changed" links at in case you're interested:
>
> http://tei.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tei?view=revision&revision=10374
>
> Lou, over to you to review.
>
> --Kevin

Well, I think the proposed wording might be improved. The reference to
<taxonomy> seems irrelevant -- if you use that, you'd use @ref to point
at entries in it. And the term "magic token" is probably best not
eternalised (magic cookie I've never heard of before -- it invites
confusion with the other sorts of cookie.

Here's a suggested revision for the following passage added to CO :

"Since the value of the <att>key</att> attribute does not follow any
standard syntax, can only be deciphered by a human reader (possibly by
consulting the <gi>taxonomy</gi> element in the TEI header), and could
coincide with a value used by another project, such <term>magic
preferred ..."

No particular syntax is proposed for the values of the <att>key</att>
attribute, since its form will depend entirely on practice within a
given project. For the same reason, this attribute is not recommended in
data interchange, since there is no way of ensuring that the values used
by one project are distinct from those used by another. In such a
situation, a preferable ...