[tei-council] Setting up read-only access to TEI Council list?

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Sun May 20 13:10:04 EDT 2012

No need to apologize, Becky.

So, a few of us have objected to tei-council postings being pushed to
users.  If I may generalize, it seems we are concerned about confused
expectations: both (a) on the part of Council members in knowing that
their conversations are more broadly exposed and (b) on the part of
potential readers in being confused about the ability to participate in
the discussions.

David mentions that Virginia's current mailing list system is Sympa; the
tei-council list has been running on a legacy system.  While David said
he would investigate moving tei-council to Sympa (which supports an RSS
feed of postings), even if we ask him not to do this at this time, I
think we can assume that the list will be moved to Sympa or another
future system someday, and that this system will likely have RSS (or
some sort of Linked Data) support, allowing users access to content in a
way that's more convenient than the web interface in the current system.

Keeping in mind this eventuality, how would those who've objected feel
if tei-council messages were available through an RSS feed?  In my
opinion, if we can expose our postings in a way that doesn't involve
messages coming to an email inbox (such as through an RSS feed), then
concern (b) goes away.

--Kevin