[tei-council] TEI TITE question

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Tue May 8 12:27:14 EDT 2012

On 08/05/12 16:47, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> Wait, now we're talking about mapping between various XML schemes, each
> of which represent italics.  This is a different matter.

I guess I want to say that it's part of the same picture, actually.

> My point is that we should offer a clear way to represent
> undifferentiated italicized text in TEI.  Right now, "<hi>" is not a
> clear way to do this.

Just italicized or also bold, small caps, etc.?

The TEI has a great customization mechanism. We're talking about one
customization. Why should we want to create a rule out of this specific
customization is what escapes me. Titefication of the TEI... but why?
One argument I saw it that it's handier. Well, it depends, that's what
customizations are supposed to be for, among others: if you want to make
things handier for one particular project, customize rather than adjust
the entire system for that one project. We call this, in Polish,
"turning the cat tail-first". It just seems to go the wrong way.

Another argument that I saw, from Sebastian, mentioned that <sub> is
non-semantic. I am not sure what "being semantic" means in this context,
I feel that some assumed common ground escapes me (and I'm slightly
embarrassed about that).

But your argument, Kevin, I just don't grok, especially that you invoke
interchange by suggesting making interchange harder, i.e. by adding to
the potential mess of the content of @rend and the @rend vs. @rendition
mechanism, one more mechanism, of using an element for that, an element
which belongs on the "leaf", i.e., I would think, in a customization,
rather than in the core of the system.

best,

  P.