[tei-council] TEI TITE question

Gabriel BODARD gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Tue May 8 10:25:19 EDT 2012

I'm not entirely clear that the situation is quite the same as

 > <forename>
 > <surname>
 > <rs type="name">

(Or even <placeName>, <persName>, <rs type="name">.) What we have at the
moment is no shortcuts for <hi rend="x"> at all, because the list of
possible values for "x" is near infinite. (Even a short list is pretty
long.)

We already have a long-established way to encode the undistinguished use
of italics, the only argument against which is that it's more keystrokes
than <it>. We could easily encourage more consistency in attribute
values if we really wanted to--though I predict there will be resistance
to doing so.

There is also a certain semantic value in the <hi> element, by which I
mean in its very name, not it's attribute values: this text is
highlighted in some way to set it apart from the surrounding text. I can
imagine a transcription scenario when all you want to encode is that the
text is set apart, not how it is rendered.

My opinion remains that there is a place for elements such as <i>, <b>,
<sup>, etc., but that that place is in a custom schema for
encoders/vendors, not in the published, interchangeable TEI.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL