[tei-council] Fwd: TEI TITE question

Paul F. Schaffner PFSchaffner at umich.edu
Mon May 7 10:57:54 EDT 2012

On the 'pro' side, I've written schemas using i/b/u/sup/sub and
found them handy, especially for vendor use (and for string-based
processing). And they do have a reassuringly rootedness in actual
page phenomena: TCP tried instead to get keyers to recognize
'salience' or markedness, which required them to identify first
the unmarked default font of every structural unit. The result has
been almost unmitigated disaster. We should have simply asked them
to identify fonts and leave it at that.

On the 'con' side, I already find myself protesting the inadequacy of
the list. 'Bold' in particular is meaningless before, I think, the
19th century. Our chief contrasts are roman-italic-blackletter, with
occasional subtype contrasts (rotunda/textura/bastarda) and of course
font-size contrasts. On the Continent, it would be a little different.
And with non-Latin alphabets more different still.

pfs