[tei-council] content model for <attDef>

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Sun Apr 29 08:03:13 EDT 2012

On 29/04/12 13:16, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2012, at 09:47, Piotr Bański wrote:
>
>> Do I see correctly that, for a closed valList, there is no way to
>> *enforce* the specification of a datatype (of the list or of the
>> particular items)? (Not a huge problem, I guess, but I'm just wondering.)
>
> um, a closed valList is a fixed list of values. how does data typing fit in? if you say the
> list of allowed values is  "1.2", "freddy" and "false", is that bad in some way?

I may be misunderstanding, but what is wrong with defining the datatype
for an attribute and then pre-selecting a proper subset of possible
values with that datatype?

I think I was confused when I mentioned "datatype of the list", because
that would imply validation at the level of the ODD, whereas what I have
in mind is datatyping of a value that appears in a document instance.
Whether I can choose from the infinity of integers or a set of three
integers, it may be worthwhile to state explicitly that what I mean by
"3" is an integer, as opposed to a string, for the purpose of further
processing.

I understand that it didn't work that way in DTDs, where one could
either state the datatype or enumerate the values without a datatype,
but with more elaborate schema languages, it surely is possible to
enumerate within a datatype, is it not?

Best,

 P.