[tei-council] xml-model processing instruction

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Apr 27 08:30:38 EDT 2012

Hi there,

In Michigan we agreed (on ticket <http://purl.org/TEI/FR/1650195>) that
we'd add a recommendation that people use the W3C standard xml-model
processing instruction to link both regular schemas and ODD files into
their XML documents, but we didn't say exactly where we'd put that
recommendation.

The obvious place is this section of the Gentle Introduction:

<http://teijenkins.hcmc.uvic.ca:8080/job/TEIP5-Documentation/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Guidelines-web/en/html/SG.html#SG-assoc>

which is currently slightly misleading: "In RELAX NG therefore no
facility for associating a particular schema with a particular instance
exists...". Although this is technically true, xml-model is now a
standard method (although defined outside of RELAX NG).

I think it might also be addressed in Chapter 22 Documentation Elements
too -- what do you think about adding a new section like this:

     22.1 Phrase Level Documentary Elements
     22.2 Modules and Schemas
     22.3 Specification Elements
     22.4 Common Elements
     22.5 Building a Schema
     22.6 Combining TEI and Non-TEI Modules
 >>  22.7 Linking Schemas to XML Documents
     22.8 Module for Documention Elements

The difference between the two explanations, I think, would be that the
Gentle Introduction one should focus mainly on linking schemas into your
documents, whereas the Ch 22 section should also give some detail on
linking ODD files by the same mechanism, and should also point at the
new section in the Header chapter on including a <schemaSpec> in your
<encodingDesc>, to give a comprehensive overview of all the ways your
document can be linked to its XML model.

Any disagreement on this, before I proceed?