[tei-council] targetLang in att.pointing and schemaSpec

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Wed Apr 25 10:48:50 EDT 2012

I wasn't saying "let's change the old one" -- the option of leaving
both, by analogy to overriding @type, seems acceptable.

As for whether "targetLang" is great for referring to tags and attribute
names, well, my point is that the name doesn't suggest anything like
that to someone who isn't simply used to it. It could just as well be
used to refer to the language of documentation or whatever else, since
"target" in this case means nearly "anything I tell you this should
mean, with some pointing/directionality implied". This meaning is
appropriate for half the attributes, including many new guys.

I'm not pressing in any direction, though if I were forced to take a
stand, I'd probably vote on "keep both", because I understand the value
of not modifying stuff that doesn't badly need to be modified, and I see
certain advantages of maintaining the "target" part of "targetLang" in
connection with the one used for identifying the language that @target
points to (your own suggestion, Lou, BTW).

best,

  P.