[tei-council] targetLang in att.pointing and schemaSpec

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Apr 25 08:45:48 EDT 2012

I think the original @targetLang on <schemaSpec> is doing a completely
different job from the new one, isn't it? I think its purpose and
semantics are clear from the description:

<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-schemaSpec.html>

although I don't know if anyone has ever used it. Given that ODD is
meant to be broader than TEI, someone may well use it at some point, if
they're working with a specification that allows element or attribute
names in different languages, so I'd recommend leaving it. I think it's
OK to have two attributes with the same name doing different jobs in
different contexts (although it's obviously not ideal). If we were to
make a change, I'd recommend changing schemaSpec/@targetLang to
@namingLang, or something like that.