[tei-council] floating divs

Paul F. Schaffner PFSchaffner at umich.edu
Tue Apr 17 08:43:41 EDT 2012

Hastily assembled examples, not the best and mostly (Martin's
favorite) songs in drama.

<STAGE>Arrived at the Scene againe and meaning to reascend,
<HI>MERCVRY</HI> finding some impedi|ment
<PB N="7" REF="5">
by the way of question adresses himselfe to the Company.</STAGE>
<P><TEXT>
<BODY>
<DIV1 TYPE="song">
<HEAD>The third Song.</HEAD>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>MERCVRY.</SPEAKER>
<L>What mak's me so vnnimbly ryse,</L>
<L>That did descend so fleete?</L>
<L>There is no vp-hill in the skyes;</L>
<L>Clouds stay not feathered feete.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>CHORVS.</SPEAKER>
<L>Thy wings are sing'd: and thou canst fly</L>
<L>But slowly now, swift <HI>MERCVRY.</HI></L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>MERCVRY.</SPEAKER>
<L>Some Lady heere, is sure too blame</L>
<L>That from Loves starry skyes,</L>
<L>Hath shot some Beame, or sent some flame,</L>
<L>Like Lghtning, from her Eyes.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>CHORVS.</SPEAKER>
<L>Taxe not the Starrs, with what the Sunne,</L>
<L>Too neere aproch't (insens't) hath done.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>MERCVRY.</SPEAKER>
<L>I'le rowle me in Auroras Dew,</L>
<L>Or lye in Tethis bed;</L>
<L>Or from coole Iris begge a few,</L>
<L>Pure Opale shewrs new shed.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<PB N="8" REF="6">
<SPEAKER>CHORVS.</SPEAKER>
<L>Nor Dew, nor shewers, nor sea can slake</L>
<L>Thy quenchlesse heate, but Lethes lake.</L>
</SP>
</DIV1>
</BODY>
</TEXT></P>
</DIV2>
</DIV1>
<DIV1 TYPE="scene">

------------------

I will propound an Obiection, which seemeth
to make for the Papists, at least in Popish sence and mea|ning.</P>
<P><TEXT LANG="eng">
<BODY>
<DIV1 TYPE="objection">
<HEAD>The Obiection.</HEAD>
<P>Two <HI>adequate</HI> bodies may be in one place at once, and yet
neither the place be deuided into two places, nor yet the

<PB N="53" REF="33" MS="y">
bodies transformed or confounded into one body: Ergo,
&agrave; <HI>simili,</HI> one body may be in two places at once (as
Christs
body in many thousand Altars at popish Masse,) and yet
neyther the body deuided into two places, neyther the
two places contracted into one.</P>
</DIV1>
</BODY>
</TEXT></P>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>T. B.</SPEAKER>
<P>When you (O Iesuite) shall be able to proue the Ante|cedent,
which will be <HI>ad Calendas Graecas,</HI> when men vse to
clip Pigges and Rats) I will yeeld vnto you.</P>
</SP>

------------------

<SP>
<SPEAKER>Ai.</SPEAKER>
<P>Why the Devil don't you then? Gad, I fancy you are as fond of being
ask'd as I. Why, you &s;ing almo&s;t as well as I do. Come, let's &s;ing
the la&s;t Dialogue our Ma&s;ter &s;et.</P>
</SP>
<P><TEXT>
<BODY>
<DIV1 TYPE="song">
<HEAD>DIALOGUE.</HEAD>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Man.</SPEAKER>
<L>Hark you, Madam, can't I move you? </L>
<L>why the Devil do you run?</L>
<L><PB N="42" REF="28">Ha'n't I told you twice I love you? </L>
<L>come then, ki&s;s me, or I'm gone.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Wom.</SPEAKER>
<L>Foh! I hate a Raki&s;h Lover, </L>
<L>Do not di&s;compo&s;e my Dre&s;s:</L>
<L>Good familiar Spark, give over! </L>
<L>how on Quality you pre&s;s!</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Man.</SPEAKER>
<L>From the Counte&s;s to the Cit, </L>
<L>ev'ry Beauty for me dies:</L>
<L>Demme, why &s;hould I &s;ubmit</L>
<L> to do at on <HI>this</HI> Woman's Eyes!</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Wom.</SPEAKER>
<L>Fifty Beaux expire for me, </L>
<L>ogling, &s;ighing all the Day;</L>
<L>Yet not one dares be &s;o free, </L>
<L>tho they let me win at Play.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Man.</SPEAKER>
<L>Sure we Rakes can better move you; </L>
<L>&s;ee this Shape and Leg, my Dear!</L>
<L>In one Minute more I'll love you </L>
<L>than tho&s;e Fops can in a Year.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Wom.</SPEAKER>
<L>But your Love will &s;oon be over.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Man.</SPEAKER>
<L>Then you'll get a fre&s;her Lover.</L>
<L>Come, to Bed! I long t'embrace.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Wom.</SPEAKER>
<L>Leave my Hand!</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Man.</SPEAKER>
<L>&mdash;Then lend your Face!</L>
<L>Fir&s;t the Hand, and then the Face,</L>
<L>Then the Brea&s;t,</L>
<L>And then the re&s;t,</L>
<L>Then the Breast, and then&mdash;</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Wom.</SPEAKER>
<L>&mdash;The Face.</L>
</SP>
<STAGE>Gives him a &s;lap 'othe Face.</STAGE>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Man.</SPEAKER>
<L>'s Death, I've a good mind to beat you;</L>
<L>No; to vex you more, I'llgo.</L>
<L>Thus I puff you&mdash;I'll go &s;ay,</L>
<L>I refus'd your Love to Day.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Wom.</SPEAKER>
<L>Then I'll &s;ay how I did treat you.</L>
</SP>
<STAGE>Both together</STAGE>
<SP>
<SPEAKER> Man.</SPEAKER>
<L>None will believe you cou'd do &s;o.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Wom.</SPEAKER>
<L>All will believe I us'd you &s;o.</L>
</SP>
</DIV1>
</BODY>
</TEXT></P>
<SP>
<PB N="43" REF="28">
<SPEAKER>Ai.</SPEAKER>
<P>Pretty well, pretty well, all but that damn'd Slap on the
Face&mdash;Well, I &s;hall run mad for you in Two Days, that's
certain.</P>
</SP>

--------------

<STAGE>Enter Mr. <HI>Redding</HI> in a Smith's Habit, a Bottle in his
hand. He &s;ings; &s;eemingly drunk.</STAGE>
<P><TEXT>
<BODY>
<DIV1 TYPE="song">
<HEAD>SONG.</HEAD>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Man.</SPEAKER>
<L>SHou'd I not lead a happy Life&punc; </L>
<L>Were but my Bottle like my Wife! </L>
<L>My Bottle empties when I &s;will, </L>
<L>But my Wife &s;wells up when we bill.</L>
<L><PB N="19" REF="16">Wou'd (when I drink) my Bottle fill, </L>
<L>And (when I ki&s;s) my Wife not &s;well, </L>
<L>All wou'd be well: </L>
<L>I wou'd &s;o bill, </L>
<L>So fill, &s;o &s;will,</L>
<L> That daily gaily I wou'd &s;pend my Life, </L>
<L>Sucking, filling, </L>
<L>Hugging, billing, </L>
<L>My merry Bottle and my Wife.</L>
</SP>
<STAGE> Drinks; then throws away his Bottle, and takes up a Quart
Pot.</STAGE>
<STAGE> <HI>Enter Mr.</HI> Lee <HI>dre&s;t as the Smith's Wife and
big-bellied.</HI></STAGE>
</DIV1>
<DIV1 TYPE="song">
<HEAD>DIALOGUE.</HEAD>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Wom.</SPEAKER>
<L>STill at your Pot, </L>
<L>You drunken Sot? </L>
<L>You till I come </L>
<L>Will ne're go home; </L>
<L>And when you're there, </L>
<L>You cur&s;e and &s;wear; </L>
<L>Then prove a Bed </L>
<L>A lump of Lead.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Man.</SPEAKER>
<L>D' you think, you Scold, </L>
<L>I'll be controul'd? </L>
<L>No more be &s;aid: </L>
<L>Or at your Head, </L>
<L>As I'm a Sot, </L>
<L>Sou&s;e flys the Pot! </L>
<L>But fir&s;t, I think, </L>
<L>I'll &s;ave the Drink.</L>
</SP>
<STAGE>Drinks.</STAGE>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Wom.</SPEAKER>
<L>Hold, leave a &s;up, </L>
<L>Don't drink all up.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Man.</SPEAKER>
<L>Here, ta&s;te and know </L>
<L>Why I'll not go.</L>
</SP>
<STAGE>He gives her the Drink, &s;he drinks.</STAGE>
<SP>
<PB N="20" REF="17">
<SPEAKER>Wom.</SPEAKER>
<L>How &s;weet! oh how it chears my heart!</L>
<L>O dear! methinks I &s;uck my Mother.</L>
<L>Here's t'you, my Love! have t' other Quart, </L>
<L>And then&mdash;</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Man.</SPEAKER>
<P>&mdash;What then?</P>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Wom.</SPEAKER>
<L>&mdash;And then another.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Both.</SPEAKER>
<L>Come, now we're Friends, and all is right.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Man.</SPEAKER>
<L>Drink, drink all day:</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Wom.</SPEAKER>
<L>&mdash;&mdash;&mdash;But love at night.</L>
</SP>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Both.</SPEAKER>
<L>Drink, drink all day, but love at night.</L>
</SP>
<STAGE>Both going off lovingly.</STAGE>
</DIV1>
</BODY>
</TEXT></P>
<SP>
<SPEAKER>Sir Top.</SPEAKER>
<P>Now this is &s;omething like a Tanzy: here Friends, there's a couple of
Shillings for you to drink.</P>
</SP>

---------------

<P>So I de&s;ire all you that be Schollars, that either reads it, or hears
it read, let it be a good in&s;truction for you all, in the fir&s;t place
<PB N="19" REF="11">
learn to &s;erve God: &s;econdly, to give honour and obedience to thy
Parents: thirdly, let not thy heart over-&s;lip th&eacute;e with <GAP
DESC="illegible" RESP="apex" EXTENT="1 letter">nvy and ha|tred towards thy
Neighbour; but be always ready with diligence to do any thing for them
which lyeth in thy power to do; not wrong|ing thy Parents nor thy &s;elf.
The duty of a Scholar is, if thou m&eacute;et any man or woman in the
&s;tr&eacute;et, thou art to carry thy &s;elf very ci|villy, to put off
thy hat, and to give them the time of the day, for in &s;o doing thou
&s;hewe&s;t thy br&eacute;eding: more-over there will be &s;ome &s;ign of
grace in thy old age, for as y^e Scripture &s;aith, <HI>Train up a child
in the way he &s;hould go and when he is old he will not depart from
it.</HI> And I pray God give every child grace to lead his life in his
youth, that he may have joy and comfort both in this world, and in the
world to come without end, <HI>Amen.</HI></P>
<P>A &s;hort Prayer for every Schollar to learn every morning before he
goes to School, o<GAP DESC="illegible" RESP="apex" EXTENT="1 letter">
beginneth any labour, then after this y^e Lord<GAP DESC="illegible"
RESP="apex" EXTENT="1 letter"> Prayer.</P>
<FLOATEXT LANG="eng" TYPE="prayer">
<HEAD>A Prayer for the morning.</HEAD>
<P>O Mo&s;t gracious Lord God; thou that &s;itte<GAP DESC="illegible"
RESP="apex" EXTENT="1 letter"> upon thy throne, and &s;ee&s;t into all the
co<GAP DESC="illegible" RESP="apex" EXTENT="1 letter">+ners
<PB N="20" REF="12">
of the World; thou mad'&s;t the heaven and the earth, and all things
belonging thereto: thou art a God of mercy, thou art a God of favour and
love; and even &s;o thou art a God of ju&s;t<GAP DESC="illegible"
RESP="apex" EXTENT="1 letter">ce and wrath, yet &s;low to anger, or el&s;e
what would become of poor &s;inners; O Lord, I do give thee humble and
hearty thanks for this good ble&s;&s;ing which thou ha&s;t be&s;towed upon
me this night pa&s;t, in giving me &s;uch quiet re&s;t and &s;leep; O Lord
I confe&s;s thou mighte&s;t have made my bed of ea&s;e a bed of death: But
O Lord, &s;eeing it hath plea&s;ed thee to pre&s;erve my life a little
lon|ger: &s;o O Lord I do de&s;ire thee out of thy ten|der mercy to give
me this day, a heart of true Repent<GAP DESC="illegible" RESP="apex"
EXTENT="1 letter">nce, that I may truely repent me of my &s;ins, and
lament for all my tran&s;gre&s;&s;ions. O God thou knowe&s;t the fle&s;h
of man is weak and frail, yet we know thou art able to put &s;trength into
the weake&s;t &s;oul: therefore I be&s;eech thee out of thy tender mercy
for to &s;trengthen my faith; put grace and wi&s;dome into my heart, that
I may do nothing but what is plea&s;ing to thy &s;ight. And gr<GAP
DESC="illegible" RESP="apex" EXTENT="1 letter">nt O mo&s;t merciful
Father, that what&s;oever. I &s;hall think, or &s;peak, or take in hand,
it may tend to thy glory the good of my friends and neigh|bours&punc; and
for the joy and comfort of my poor &s;oul, and that for thy Son, our Lord
and Saviours &s;ake, I will farther call upon thee, in that mo&s;t
<PB N="21" REF="12">
holy and perfect prayer which thou taught thy Di&s;ciples, in that holy
place of Scripture, <HI>Mat.</HI> 6. 9. where he &s;aid to his Di&s;ciple,
<HI><GAP DESC="illegible" RESP="apex" EXTENT="2 letters"> you pray, pray
thus, &s;aying,</HI> Our Father, &amp;c.</P>
</FLOATEXT>
<P><HI>La&s;tly, when thou ha&s;t &s;pent the day, call into thy mind how
thou ha&s;t &s;pent it; and if thou ha&s;t done any thing which thy
con&s;ci|ence telleth th&eacute;e is not right, then fall on thy
kn&eacute;es, and de&s;ire the Lord to forgive th&eacute;e, and that with
a true heart, and then no doubt but the Lord will hear thy
prayers.</HI></P>
<FLOATEXT LANG="eng" TYPE="prayer">
<HEAD>A &s;hort Prayer for the Evening.</HEAD>
<P>O Lord God, Heavenly Father, I be&s;eech thee hear my prayer, and let
my cry come unto thee, con&s;ider my prayer, O Lord my God, lighten thou
mine eyes, le&s;t I &s;leep the &s;leep of death, and &s;o be utterly
lo&s;t: I cannot but confe&s;s I have &s;inned again&s;t thee: but O Lord
I know thou art merciful, and will &s;hew mercy to all &s;uch as will
con&s;e&s;s their faults, and truely repent them of their &s;ins, and
&s;trive to for&s;ake their wicked ways, and turn to the Lord and live:
therefore turn me O Lord, and I &s;hall be turned: make me to know the way
to righteou&s;ne&s;s, and give me thy &s;piritual grace, that I may flye
from the way of
<PB N="22" REF="13">
the wicked, and turn unto thee for &s;alvation: O Lord my God, and my
redeemer; and as it hath plea&s;ed thee to give me this day liberty to
follow my calling which thou ha&s;t called me unto, &s;o O Lord I
be&s;eech thee to give me thy favour and countenance this night, &s;et
thou a guard of An|gels about me, that no evil &s;pirit have power to
entice my poor weak and &s;inful &s;oul, that by thy power and protection
I may take quiet &s;leep, and re&s;t under the &s;hadow of thy wings, that
when I &s;leep, I may not &s;leep unto death, but &s;leep unto life
everla&s;ting, and all for thy Son our Lord and Saviour, in his words I
pray farther, &s;aying:</P>
<P><HI>Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name, thy Kingdom
come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven, give us this day, our
daily bread, and forgive us our tre&s;|pa&s;&s;es, as we forgive them that
tre&s;pa&s;s a|gain&s;t us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver
us from evil,</HI> Amen.</P>
</FLOATEXT>