[tei-council] PR for TEI in Google Books (was Re: some brief reports to save time during our upcoming conf call)

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 5 16:40:16 EST 2012

On 05/03/12 03:45, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> I believe the teleconference discussion did not reach a conclusion on
> whether, once Google deploys their code, the TEI-C should (a) ride a way
> of publicity that might be generated in the community, (b) seek to
> create a wave, or (c) do nothing.  In any case, I plan to act as a
> private citizen (not in my role as a Council member) in publicizing this
> since I personally believe it's significant, even if Google turns out
> TEI files that many of us think aren't all that usable.

Although some had reservations about the quality of the TEI that
Google would be producing, I don' think anyone doubts that Google
making any large number of texts available in some form of TEI is
potentially beneficial to the TEI.  I would support the TEI-C
using this publicity to attract people to the TEI who might not
have heard of it.

> appointed hour arrives.  However, I don't know who should make an
> official statement on behalf of the TEI-C.

I'm of the opinion that official press releases on behalf of the
consortium or such should come from the Board via the Chair. I
hope that we'll have some warning before this comes about and
they'll have time to draft something. I'll mention it to JohnU as
an item to discuss at the next board meeting. But yes, this does
not stop anyone talking about it in a private capacity. I'm of
the opinion that when any of us are posting (e.g. to TEI-L) that
we're doing so in such a capacity unless we say something like
"The TEI Technical Council asks that....".

> Perhaps we don't need an
> official statement: instead, someone posts their own private
> announcement to TEI-L and then it gets added to the news feed on
> www.tei-c.org.

Only thanks to David Sewell and the helpful band of news posters,
I only mention it to take any opportunity to thank them.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev
Oxford University Computing Services