[tei-council] TEI Telco February 2012

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 24 06:51:38 EST 2012

On 24/02/12 00:07, Piotr Bański wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> So toll-free is not free but funded by TEI-C? I was wondering: why not
> just skype -- it's worked for conference organisation and lots of other
> meetings. Or are skype conferences non-free as well?

If skype conversations are all held by people are a computer they
are free. However, in the past it has often been found that the
quality of the call seems to degrade depending on very
unpredictable conditions. (e.g. the local bandwidth, individuals
computers, whether they mute themselves etc.) While all of this
is also true with non-skype teleconferences, it seems less
frequent.  The board used this service for a teleconference
recently (minutes here http://www.tei-c.org/Board/bm44.xml) and
it seemed to go smoothly. The costs are not great, the Board
meeting of about an hour cost "$113.49 (about $21 of which is
taxes)" according to JohnU.  So for simplicity I suggest we try
this for parallel with the Board. If it turns out to not work, or
be much more expensive, then we can look at other options.

With this system it is _possible_ to record the conversation, I'm
told, but I don't know if this incurs additional charges.  The
idea of being able to record them to then write up minutes
afterwards is attractive though.

Speaking of which, I have yet to have any volunteers to take
minutes during the conference call.  I don't want to pick someone
at random (but will)...how about I say that if you do the minutes
this time, I won't make you do them next time?

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,