[tei-council] updated list of Council members etc. for P5

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sat Feb 18 23:30:35 EST 2012

On 12-02-18 07:07 PM, stuart yeates wrote:
> On 19/02/12 13:21, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> Does anyone think we really need a formal "personbase"? I've been trying
>> to think of what sort of information might be worth collecting from
>> people, and I can't think of much that would be useful without already
>> being public and obvious (where people currently work and their terms on
>> the Board or the Council), or raising privacy issues (DOB,
>> qualifications, employment history etc.).
>
> As I understand it, an attribution-based copyright license requires
> tracking people who have made contributions.

This caused me to go back to the original minutes and check the context
in which we decided this was a good idea:

<quote>
3041605: Update list of Council members. The Council agrees that the
current list of members should be updated, and that a complete list of
current and former Council members should be maintained and included in
the Guidelines. KH will collect info from LB and elsewhere to create the
list, and MH will then take over to create a more robust and formal
collection of info based on a <listPerson> ; a template <person> can be
sent out to TEI-L. LB reminds us about privacy concerns.
</quote>

I think the reason we decided to go with <listPerson> was simply so that
we could include the list in the Guidelines in such a way that we could
easily link to individuals through @xml:ids. So the question then
becomes: what do we need to know about people? I had originally imagined
something simple like this:

<person role="teiCouncil">
  <persName>
   <forename>Martin</forename>
   <surname>Holmes</surname>
  </persName>
  <affiliation>University of Victoria Humanities Computing and Media
Centre</affiliation>
</person>

However, someone could have had multiple affiliations with different
dates, and been on the Council for a couple of years and the Board for a
year. So:

<person>
  <persName>
   <forename>Martin</forename>
   <surname>Holmes</surname>
  </persName>
  <affiliation notBefore="1998">University of Victoria HCMC</affiliation>
  <affiliation role="council_elected" notBefore="2010">TEI</affiliation>
</person>

We should be able to devise a system in which it's possible to encode
all the various configurations of service to the TEI (Council, Board,
elected, appointed, committees, workgroups, etc.) in the
affiliation/@role attribute (possibly with multiple TEI-related
<affiliations>, if necessary); and then we should be able to generate at
least some of the FM1 page automatically from the list; all we then have
to do is make sure we keep the list up to date, and Council members at
least can keep their own <person> entry updated in SF.

Does this make sense? Is it worth the trouble?