[tei-council] TEI-C irc channel

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Feb 11 05:06:27 EST 2012

Hi Gaby (et al.),

Yes, I'm auto-logged into that IRC channel _most_ of the time.
Even when I'm asleep.  So quite often I'm not physically present.
;-)

Those logging in who are not related to board/council does happen
sometimes and I think should be encouraged. I know I've answered
questions there occasionally from people on freenode.net wanting
to know something about the TEI. (One of the users that Gaby so
deftly answered has definitely popped in before to ask questions.)

Information on the TEI-C IRC channel and how to use it is
available on the wiki at:

http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/IRC

(feel free to update... I wrote most of it in 2005....)

Although IRC is a fairly erm... mature... technology, lots of
software packages and other markup languages (e.g. docbook) have
channels on freenode.net for public discussion and support.

-James

On 10/02/12 17:37, Gabriel Bodard wrote:
> Hey, for the first time I've noticed in the ten months I've been
> regularly signed into the TEI-C irc channel (irc://freenode/TEI-C), two
> non-council users have logged in today to ask technical questions. At
> least one was someone who is not on TEI-L and claimed not to like
> mailing lists.
>
> If this is starting to become a habit, it might be useful if other
> Council members hung around from time to time, because many of you will
> be better able to answer some questions than I am. (Although James is
> usually in there too, today he was apparently busy elsewhere.)
>
> Seem reasonable? Or a one-off?

Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,