[tei-council] Ann Arbor spring meeting

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Jan 24 16:12:36 EST 2012

I was just checking out the wifi access at UMich:

"Wireless access
Council members not affiliated with the University of Michigan can use
MGuest. If the limited access is insufficient, the local organizers can
ask Desktop Support Services to provide temporary uniqnames."

The MGuest services is quite restrictive:

[quote]
MGuest is limited to web (http), secure web (https) secure mail services
(IMAPS, POPS, SMTPS) and VPN services:

     HTTP 80
     HTTPS 443 (TLS/SSL)
     POP3s 995 (TLS/SSL)
     IMAPs 993 (TLS/SSL)
     SMTPs 465 (TLS/SSL)
     Secure Shell (SSH) port 22

VPN access via the following ports is allowed:

     Protocol 47, 50 and 51
     port 500
     port 1701
     UDP port 4500
     UDP port 10000

MGuest is rate limited to 1Mbps down and 384kbps upload speeds.

MGuest is treated like a non-UM network; some U-M resource such as
library journals cannot be accessed.
[/quote]

That would presumably make my Jenkins server inaccessible, because it
runs on port 8080:

<http://teijenkins.hcmc.uvic.ca:8080/>

And we have other projects running on other ports not on the MGuest
list. If it's possible to get temporary logins to the main network,
MWireless, I'd be happier. I'm assuming that UMich doesn't support
eduroam? Something called "Internet2, Ann Arbor" does, but I don't see
any mention on the main university site.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)