[tei-council] Ann Arbor spring meeting

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 24 10:04:59 EST 2012

On 24/01/12 14:42, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> Flights within the US are commonly priced like this.  It's an old
> arrangement between the airlines and hotels to encourage you to stay
> through the weekend wherever you're going.  I don't think it applies to
> flights to and from the US, but perhaps you have a connection in the US
> causing this.

Nope, direct flight from Heathrow. This is always the case when
travelling to the US if you don't include a Saturday.  It has
affected me a number of times (and year I always forget it until
it does). So I think this arrangement is implemented across the
board.

> So the situation might apply to those traveling from within the US as
> well.  I'm sure the TEI's treasurer would agree that it saves the
> Consortium money for James (and anyone else in a similar situation) to
> arrive on Saturday and stay in a hotel the extra night.  That is, you
> end up saving money, even with the hotel and per-diem.

I agree, and would encourage people to book tickets accordingly.

> In the future, we might consider planning meetings to begin on a Sunday
> or end on a Saturday because of the likelihood of saving money.  It
> shortens our weekends, of course, but it also is less likely to disrupt
> someone's teaching schedule (as has been the problem for some Council
> members in the past).

That is a good idea, but depends on local hosting arrangements.
I know, for example, that it is quite difficult for us to have
people in the building on a Sunday here at OUCS. (Though we could
find other meeting space where that wasn't the case.)  I'll
consider it when planning the Oxford meeting.

Becky: Do you know if we might be able to get the same meeting
space on the Sunday as well?

If we can, I propose that we deal with the slight vague other
useful TEI stuff that Gaby suggests. (I.e. there would be no
requirement for others to be there, but we'd set aside the time
to work on decided TEI tickets, TEI infrastructure, EpiDoc etc.)

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,