[tei-council] TEI Technical Council Budget 2012

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 04:12:23 EST 2012

On 12 Jan 2012, at 00:18, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> My recollection is that we did indeed solve most of the problems.  Even
> if there are outstanding issues about rationalization that Paul
> Schaffner (who will be attending as a Council member) can't answer for
> us, I imagine we could get Martin Mueller or Brian Pytlik Zillig on the
> phone or Skype to answer those questions.  They're both only one time
> zone away from Ann Arbor, so I can't imagine this will be difficult.

I agree, it probably doesnt  need a full-scale session with MM and BPZ;
but we really should revisit the issue. There are certainly unsolved parts of the
equation - <signed> is one of those. Asking MM/BPZ to test 2.0.1 on their
conversions now would be important.

>> d) Another idea was to try to fund an entirely new processing
>> implementation of ODD2+ that is completely independent of the existing
>> XSLT. But this is problematic to budget.
>
> You mean fund a complete rewrite of Roma rather than a better Roma, as
> in ©?

We need to agree on terminology  here. I think of "roma" as meaning
"user interface to ODD, with facilities to create and edit and odd, and
call ODD -> XX processing". Note the "call" there. All the Roma-ish tools we
have now (Roma web, command-line, oxgarage, oxygen) all call the same
underlying XSLT library.   James' (d) is a rewrite of that backend library, but his
c) is a new Roma web (probably).

personally, I go for c), on the grounds that Web Roma is _definitely_ incomplete
and has errors, and definitely  has real users, now.

--
Stormageddon Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group

Sólo le pido a Dios