[tei-council] namespaces and customization

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Fri Jan 6 21:26:29 EST 2012

On 1/4/12 5:44 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 4 Jan 2012, at 00:41, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>
>> At the least I would like to see the intention clarified in P5, and at
>> the most I would like us to revisit the intention.  I'm not sure the
>> intention is wrong, but I'm not sure it's right either.  If we are
>> revisiting the intention, it would be worth talking to Bryan
>> Pytlik-Zillig and/or others who have done work on normalizing documents.
>>   I wonder whether they would find use of a new namespace useful or a
>> hassle.
>
> surely large-scale normalization projects such as that which B P-Z
> works on should be the last to make casual modifications to TEI, however
> simple? they have the time and the resource to do it right, ie work out
> with the TEI what the best way to work is, and to get changes in the TEI
> if needed. As TCP is doing now (belatedly, sorry, Paul and Rebecca!).

What I meant is to suppose that Brian inherited a few sets of documents
using a customization of the TEI.  Some customized but used the TEI
namespace for everything, whereas others created a new namespace for
every non-subsetting customization.  Which would be preferrable to
someone normalizing these various sets of documents to do data mining
across the sets?