[tei-council] pump it up [scholarly footnote]

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sun Dec 18 11:23:22 EST 2011

Stormy's explanation is apparently an unacknowledged cut and paste from
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pumpkin+holder ... the etymology
"[C20: pump ( kin ) + king ; from an original practice involving a
stuffed pumpkin which was passed to this person]"
looks a bit doubtful to me but what do I know.

http://www.socialtext.net/perl5/pumpking suggests that the pumpking is a
kind of deputy or regent, which is not really what we are talking about.