[tei-council] 2.0.0

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sat Dec 17 07:28:32 EST 2011

I assume that "got out a limb" does not imply the use of some sort of
prosthesis but rather than you feel you have "gone out on a limb" in
acting so precipitately.

It's fine by me: as noted yesterday, we really don't want to risk the
possibility of lots of schemas floating about in the wild with the wrong
licence on them (though that would be no different from the state
hitherto, of course, except that they were differently wrong before)

HOWEVER, I wonder if something could not be done to correct another
rendering error which seems to have somehow crept in since the last release?

The problem is that every time a <desc> is copied from an <elementSpec>
into the output as a consequence of a <specDesc> apparing in the ODD
source, it carries along with it all the cross references from the
<listRef> contained by that <elementSpec>. So, for example, each element
described at the start of
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/DR.html#DRFAB
contains a reference back to the same section, explicitly added to the
element description during HTML generation.

I cannot imagine why anyone ever thought this might be a good idea, and
I don't remember it ever being discussed. It's visually distracting, and
almost entirely redundant, since specLists typically appear precisely at
the point cross referenced. And it was not present in earlier releases.