[tei-council] altIdentifier in msPart

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sat Dec 10 09:09:18 EST 2011

Dear Torsten

Many thanks -- these examples clarify the issue greatly.

Let me see if I have understood it correctly now. The problem is that
have multiple catalogue numbers for each of the various parts, and you
want to provide an identifier for each grouping. For example, if one
part was originally catalogued as A and also as B, while another part
was originally catalogued as C and also as D, then you want to add two
more "old identifiers" say X (for the part formerly A and B) and Y for
the part (formerly C and D).

Is that correct?  As the ticket shows, Council agreed to change the
content model of msPart to permit use of either a single msIdentifier or
a single altIdentifier, with a recommendation for the former. It
preferred this to your proposal of a completely new "msPartIdentifier"
element.

To avoid the risk of confusing simple minded processors unable to
distinguish msDesc/msIdentifier from msDesc/msPart/msIdentifier, you
also propose a @type="partial" on the msIdentifier. I am reluctant
simply to add msIdentifier to the att.typed class, partly because this
was not explicitly agreed by Council, but also because I think a
typology of identifiers is to be avoided. If this distinction is
necessary, I would rather express it by means of  a more specific
attribute such as @part="true", or @scope="part". What do you think?

best wishes

Lou