[tei-council] xml:lang="eng"

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 8 07:24:50 EST 2011

By the way, I recently discovered that there is now a single IANA
registry of language codes so we no longer need to worry about looking
in the 2-letter list, and then if we don't find what we're looking for
move on to the 3-letter list. Instead, all codes, both 2- and
(occasional) 3-letter (and 4-letter script codes) are listed on a single
page at <http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry>, so
there is no longer any danger of accidentally using a 3-digit code that
has been deprecated in favour of its 2-digit replacement.

(For example, "Ancient Greek (to 1453)" is now unambiguously listed as
"grc", so should not be confused with "el".)

I've found this very helpful while trying to decide how to tag Nabatean
script in papyri...

On 2011-12-08 12:00, Lou Burnard wrote:
> The 3 letter codes presumably date from an older gentler time, when men
> had long hair and rejoiced in diversity...
>

> On 08/12/11 08:23, James Cummings wrote:
>>
>> I certainly didn't leave three letter ones there on purpose! Fix them I say.
>> JamesC
>>
>> --
>> James Cummings, InfoDev, OUCS, University of Oxford (via phone)
>>
>> Laurent Romary<laurent.romary at inria.fr>   wrote:
>>

>> So yes, you're right there. These are things that should be changed.
>> Cheers,
>> Laurent
>>
>> Le 8 déc. 2011 à 04:15, Martin Holmes a écrit :
>>
>>> And I see<text xml:lang="fra">   too...

>>> --
>>>
>>> PLEASE NOTE: postings to this list are publicly archived
>>
>> Laurent Romary
>> INRIA&   HUB-IDSL
>> laurent.romary at inria.fr
>>

>> --
>>
>> PLEASE NOTE: postings to this list are publicly archived

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL