Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Dec 5 13:44:33 EST 2011

I'm just forwarding Kevin's message to Council, because I think he's
right. I don't think we've dealt very well with this issue yet, and I
think a subcommittee is the only way forward. I'm happy to be on it, and
I'd like Lou to be on it too, because I think we represent two poles of
opinion with regard to the interchangeability or otherwise of <ident>
and <idno>; also his historical knowledge on the reasons both <ref> and
<ptr> exist will be invaluable. If a subcommittee with Lou and I on it
could come up with a set of proposals, there's a fair chance it would
get general acceptance by Council.

I don't think we should go to TEI-L at this stage, though; maybe later,
when we're closer to a set of proposals.