[tei-council] Responses to Primary Sources #5 (11.4 - end)

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Dec 1 12:36:10 EST 2011

Here's my final batch:

-----------------

11.4:

-----------------

"...coordinates which can be used to position and dimension sub-parts of
it."

I know the OED says "dimension" is a verb, but it also marks it as
"rare". How about "provide dimensions for"?

-----------------

"Suppose however, that we wish to indicate the position and sizes of the
newspaper scraps in figure Figure 4, Single leaf of notes possibly
related to the poem eventually titled Sleepers. From the Walt Whitman
Archive (Duke 258). , relative to the whole page."

First, there are two periods in the link, and it ends with an
unnecessary space. These disrupt the flow of the sentence in which the
link is contained. Secondly, there is absolutely no penalty for
including the same image again here -- the browser already has it in the
cache -- so I'd suggest:

"Suppose however, that we wish to indicate the position and sizes of the
newspaper scraps in Figure 4, relative to the whole page. This image is
included again here as Figure 19, for the convenience of the reader."

-----------------

"As noted above, the points attribute may be used to define non
rectangular zones as a series of points."

Suggest adding a hyphen between "non" and "rectangular".

-----------------

In this egXML:

<surface
   ulx="229"
   uly="160"
   lrx="0"
   lry="0">
  <graphic url="whitman-02.jpg"/>
  <zone
    xml:id="entered"
    points="142.625,122.19 155.024,113.736 178.133,122.754
208.569,144.172 198.988,154.881 178.133,139.663"/>
</surface>

The @ulx and @uly coordinates of the <surface> appear to have been
flipped with the @lrx and @lry. I think it should be:

<surface
   ulx="0"
   uly="0"
   lrx="229"
   lry="160">

I would also contend, again, that nothing is gained by using
floating-point coordinates on the <zone>. This is especially so when the
<surface> dimensions don't seem to relate to anything real such as
pixels on an image; if a finer-grained specification of position were
required, the coordinate system of the <surface> itself could be
multiplied by 10, 100 or 1000.

I think this last objection applies to all the examples which use
floating-point values for these attributes. I see no point in this at
all, if you'll forgive the pun, unless the dimensions were specified in
some physical unit such as mm, in which case we should say so.

-----------------

"For example, we might wish to encode the example in figure Figure 2,
Badische Landesbibliothek, Manuscript Durlach 1, Fols. 95v-96r above not
as a surface representing the whole of the two page spread, but as a
surface representing only the written part of the "

This sentence appears to be missing its last word and final period.
Also, "figure Figure 2" is redundant -- I'd suggest deleting the first
"figure".

I would also suggest, as above, including the same figure again so the
reader can see it without jumping around the page.

-----------------

11.5 - 11.5.1: All OK with me.

-----------------

11.5.2:

-----------------

"...the elements emph, foreign, term, mentioned, title may be used for
these."

Suggest addition of "and" or "or" before "title".

-----------------

"In these the hi element may be used,..."

Suggest addition of "cases" after "these".
-----------------

11.6: All OK with me.

-----------------

11.7:

-----------------

When discussing <change> in the context of <creation>/<listChange>,
<change> looks like this:

"change documents a change or set of changes made during the production
of a source document, or during the revision of an electronic file. 2.5
The Revision Description"

i.e. it links to "The Revision Description". I think it should also link
to 2.4.1 Creation.

-----------------

This part of the Persuasion example reads oddly:

<change xml:id="mod1" when="1816-07-16">The first draft of
30</ref>.</change>

"...by the July 16 1816...". Suggest deletion of "the".

-----------------

In this sentence:

"Such references, along with the textual content are purely documentary
and do not affect the textual stage associated with any element thus
referred to."

a comma is missing after "content".

-----------------

The rendering of the "more complex and complete example" from Goethe is
a bit screwed up, with a long space appearing between two targets in the
@target attribute:

<subst change="#secondStage           #thirdStage">

I suspect this is caused by a linebreak and indent in the original, so
deleting that might solve the problem.

-----------------

Following that example, we have:

"Also the substitution in the second verse is done repeatedly: initially
it takes place in the second stage, but is fixated as a whole in the third."

I think "line" is intended instead of "verse". The example has only
three lines, and no markup at the lg level.

11.8 - end: All OK with me.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)