[tei-council] Responses to Primary Sources #2 (up to the end of 11.3.5)

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Nov 25 15:41:44 EST 2011

Here's my next bit (and an attached graphic, in case you can use it --
see below):

-----------------------

11.2: All OK with me.

-----------------------

11.3:

"...using either elements defined in the core module (defined in chapter
3 Elements Available in All TEI Documents) or specialized elements..."

I think the second "defined" (in the parentheses) should be "discussed"
or "described".

-----------------------

11.3.1: All OK with me.

-----------------------

11.3.2:

-----------------------

I'd love to see an image of the "euery persone" example. The source
document is available on Google Books, and the relevant page-image is here:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=sQhCHP_0a0wC&lpg=PP1&pg=PR49#v=onepage&q&f=false

I've made a screenshot of the relevant lines, if we can get permission
to use it. The document is in the Bodleian, so maybe someone can pop
down and ask?

-----------------------

In this sentence:
"If the highest priority is to transcribe the text literatim,..."

I believe that "literatim" should be wrapped in a <foreign> tag, as is
"mutatis mutandis" above, so it shows up in italics.

-----------------------

11.3.3: All OK with me.

-----------------------

11.3.4:

-----------------------

This sentence:

"Similarly, when the del element is used to record manuscript deletions."

is not a sentence. Suggest deleting "when".

-----------------------

In this example from Graves:

[quote]
A little earlier in the same extract, Graves writes ‘for an abridgement’
above the line, and then deletes it. This may be encoded similarly:
As for 'significant artist.' You quote the O.E.D <add hand="#RG"
place="above">
  <del>for an abridgement</del>
</add>in
explanation...
[/quote]

I believe the encoding might be better if the <del> enclosed the <add>,
rather than the other way round. The writer deleted the addition; he did
not add the deletion. Ditto for the following example with the word
"Norton". Note: this is exactly what is described further on in the
page, with regard to another example: "Note the nesting of an add
element within a del to record text first added, then deleted in the
source."

-----------------------

In this sentence:

"If all of part of it is not legible, the gap element should be used to
indicate where text has not not transcribed, because it could not be."

The second "not" should be "been".

-----------------------

11.3.5:

-----------------------

This clause seems a little ungainly:

"It may be simply one word overwriting another, or deletion of one word
and its replacement by another written above it by the same hand at the
one time;..."

Suggest this:

"It may be simply one word written over the top of another, or deletion
of one word and its replacement by another written above it by the same
hand on the same occasion;"

------------------------

Later in the same sentence:

"...there may be a long chain of substitutions on the one stretch of
text..."

Suggest deletion of "the", or change to "the same stretch of text..."

------------------------

"substJoin (substitution join) identifies a series of possibly
fragmented additions, deletions or other revisions on a manuscript that
combine to make up a singe intervention in the text"

Suggest "single" instead of "singe", although I do like the idea of a
singe intervention.

------------------------

The final list item in this list ends with a semi-colon instead of a period:
[quote]
In this representation,

     the authorial slip (amongt for amongst) is retained without comment.
     the other two authorial corrections are marked as substitutions,
each combining a deletion and an addition.
     the false start fif in the last line is simply marked as a deletion;
[/quote]

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)