Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Nov 23 16:54:21 EST 2011

On 11-11-23 01:30 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 23/11/11 21:18, Martin Holmes wrote:
>
>> <idno>    should be used for labels which uniquely identify an object or
>> concept in a formal cataloguing system such as a database or an RDF
>> store, or in a distributed system such as the World Wide Web.<idno>
>> must therefore appear inside the element for which it is supplying the
>> identifying label.
>>

> not sure that the phrqse qbout distributed syste,s qdds ,uch

Gesundheit. The reason that phrase is there is that mostly, <idno>s are
used in the context of formal cataloguing systems, but their second most
common use (in our Guidelines at any rate) is for URLs. The WWW is _not_
a formal cataloguing system (at least, as I understand it), although it
does provide a distributed space within which unique identifiers can be
specified. I think the same applies to DOI.

> nor cqn i
> understqnd zhy this keyboqrd hqs szitched itself to azerty mode all of a
> sudden

I've observed similar effects on my speech after the intake of
spirituous liquors.

>> However, I can imagine some possible confusion here. Could I not say:

>> Digital Literary Studies</title>, ISBN<idno
>> type="isbn">978-1-4051-4864-1</idno>.</p>
>>

> yes but you probly shd wrap the isbn and the title in a bibl if you are
> going to do that ...

Ah, true enough. Point taken.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)