Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Nov 23 16:18:53 EST 2011

On 11-11-23 01:08 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:

>>> <idno>   should be used for labels which uniquely identify an object or
>>> concept in a formal cataloguing system such as a database or an RDF
>>> store, or in a distributed system such as the World Wide Web.
>

> This misses the crucial point that you can't have an<idno>  floating
> around in space. It has to be inside something for which it supplies the
> identifier.

I hadn't really grokked that before. So, trying again:

<idno>  should be used for labels which uniquely identify an object or
concept in a formal cataloguing system such as a database or an RDF
store, or in a distributed system such as the World Wide Web. <idno>
must therefore appear inside the element for which it is supplying the
identifying label.

However, I can imagine some possible confusion here. Could I not say:

Digital Literary Studies</title>, ISBN <idno
type="isbn">978-1-4051-4864-1</idno>. </p>

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)