Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 23 15:15:30 EST 2011

On 23 Nov 2011, at 00:16, Martin Holmes wrote:

> My initial impulse is to supplement these descriptions with something
> along these lines:
>
> -------
> <ident> should be used for tokens such as variable names, class names,
> type names, function names etc. in formal programming languages. (It
> should not be used for element and attribute names in XML, for which the
> special elements <gi> and <att> are provided.)
>
> <idno> should be used for labels which uniquely identify an object or
> concept in a formal cataloguing system such as a database or an RDF
> store, or in a distributed system such as the World Wide Web.

yes, I like the word "uniquely" there. <ident> is to label something
as an identifier in a passive sort of way, <idno> is a much more
positive claim, and (critically) has a _context_, of thing it is identifying.

so

makes sense, but

means ??? supplies an ID for this para? anyway, wrong.

> 1. Do you think that my explanatory text is accurate and helpful enough
> to do the job of disambiguating these two elements?

its good. do you think my ideas about context fly?

> 2. Does our usage of the tags in the Guidelines comply with what we
> believe to be the use-cases of the elements? (Ignoring for the moment
> the case of the questionable uses of <ident> below.)

yes, from your list.

--
Stormageddon Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente