[tei-council] P5 use of rend in examples

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 21 06:09:27 EST 2011

This is a good point, and I'd be very interested to see examples of TEI
used to encode signed text, and the kinds of highlighting that would be
needed in it. Two minor observations:

1. Sebastian's suggestion (which I preëmptively agreed with the other
day) that we follow CSS terminology when appropriate/available, does not
collapse because there also exist cases for which no CSS terminology
exists (e.g. text covered in serifs or embossed with gold leaf; words
spoken more urgently than the surrounding).

2. I haven't looked recently, but I believe there are CSS properties for
auditory features which can be used in guiding e.g. text-to-speech
software, so perhaps not all CSS terminology is visual text-specific.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL